Sunday, October 23, 2011

Software evaluation tools

Software evaluation tools are key components, in my opinion that help to make sure programs and certain type of education activities are full proof. The 5 things that I think are important to keep in mind are these: Site license, installation, standards, active learning, hardware compatibility. Some people may not think it would be a hassle but their are some programs that haven't been known for their status that you need a license to keep from being billed by the admin or caught for using their information. I personally think its stupid having to pay for an educational activity like that or needing a license to do that. It's own step-by-step manual on how to install it would be nice as well. I have had some gaming programs (even though they are gaming programs) i have had some that didn't tell me the whole picture and didn't install all the way. Standards of the program are on a need to know asap basis. I want to know if the the program I am using is well known or has many other teachers referrals behind it. The number one aspect that needs to be known and tested is if the teachers and students will have fun learning from it. Active learning is a key for a child in kindergarten to learn. The last thing that is important is the software's compatibility. It ties along with installment somewhat, but I shouldn't have to worry about updating the software for the program to work, that is too much, plus how do I know if the program is worth that much.

Educational games- Engage the learner in something other than paper work. They don't even have to be on a PC.

Simulations- Have students go through physical model environments and point out things they remember from the lesson previously.

Special needs- Have certain activities for children that need more attention for their learning process.


2 comments:

  1. I mostly agree with what your saying. I also think its stupid to have to pay for educational things. In my opinion cost is one of the major factors because if you can get a top rated program at a cheap price then you can get other programs. All the other things you mentioned i thought about and even included in my post. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the things you said. But, I also think cost should be an important factor. Even though it is said that you get what you pay for, you also don't want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to be beneficial. Simulations are a great way for students to learn. They're not only having fun but they're actively learning which helps out a lot.

    ReplyDelete